Blackthorn Hill Nature Preserve and Youth Camp.
The mission of Western Illinois Nature Group (WING) is to support Blackthorn Hill Nature Preserve and to provide outdoor experiences to the public for education and appreciation of nature.
As a member of WING, you receive many benefits.
It's time to support WING's Blackthorn Hill with a Birdies For Charity pledge. All you need to do is comment with your one-time flat donation amount or your per birdie pledge amount, your guess at how many birdies will be made (for the prizes) and your name, address and phone or email. Thank you in advance for your support! We are close to having our mortgage to purchase the property paid off. With your generosity, we may just get that done this year!
Birdies for Charity pledge cards are available from any Board Member, or email email@example.com. You can also go online and choose WING as the charity you'd like to benefit.
Thanks to our Volunteers on April 26 and May 16 for United Way's Day of Caring!!! Below is the list of things still needing done. We've added a few too.
1. Clear wild garlic along the creek.
2. Hang brackets and replace gutters on the cabin.
3. Move building materials from the cabin shelter rafters to the maintenance building
4. Stain picnic tables
5. Dam gullies on new road and add sticks.
6. Look at the roof possibly leaking around the exhaust pipe in the men's side of the latrine.
7. Get railroad ties from the parking lot to the perimeter of the activity area, near the shelter and restack the fire wood. Make a tinder/kindling holder like the one at the cabin campsite too.
8. Plant butterfly bush with the seed in the shed cabinet.
Blackthorn Hill is a 110 acre Nature Preserve that is open to the public from dawn until dusk. Please be respectful of nature, of others and of our neighbors. Please haul out your own trash. There is no trash pickup at Blackthorn Hill. You can walk your dog on a leash at Blackthorn Hill. Just please be respectful of others, responsible for your pet and pick up after anything left behind by them. Thanks!
The main hiking trail is marked from the activity area to and through the old woods and to the cabins. If you see a post painted yellow, you are moving away from the Activity Area. If you are seeing green paint, you are heading back. This trail goes past or around the butterfly garden, the prairie and around the old woods and back.
Do you like to shop online?
Do you want to support nature and Blackthorn Hill? Then we have a suggestion. Visit www.socialgoodnetwork.com and sign up. Choose Blackthorn Hill as the charity you'd like to support. Then shop online thru this website and WING's Blackthorn Hill will receive a percentage of your purchase. Thank you in advance for your help.